Posted: November 19, 2015 in News
Thanksgiving is a great time to start a “gratitude list.” If you’re not sure what to put on it, here are 60 things to start you off.
Posted: November 10, 2015 in News
The holidays can be a time for connecting with those we are close to, but can also be a time of great stress. Here are some tips on managing that, where to find help if you need it.
Posted: October 28, 2015 in News
Posted: October 27, 2015 in News
- Have a movie watching party! Gather up all the movies you’re too afraid to watch alone, and screen those favorite horror classics. Add popcorn and hot apple cider or hot chocolate.
- Give out candy to trick or treaters. Don’t make your parents, partner, or roommate do it, you dress up and answer the door for all the little scary monsters out there.
- Volunteer at a pumpkin patch, haunted house or school activity. There are plenty of places that could use help to manage the hoards of hungry little goblins.
- Attend a meeting. NA, AA or any of your choice. Most have meetings throughout the evening.
- Have a potluck, with mounds of good eats. Potluck means you don’t have to do it all yourself, awesome!
- Go to a movie. Most people will be out and you’ll get the whole theater to yourself. Sprawl!
Or you could opt to do nothing at all. Plenty of folks around the world (and in the U.S.) don’t celebrate at all.
Have fun and be safe!
Posted: October 22, 2015 in News
In addition to containing toxic substances,
- E-cigarettes and e-juices contain addictive levels of nicotine.
- Nicotine is as addictive as heroin and cocaine.
- Despite widespread claims by e-cigarette advocates, there’s no scientific evidence that e-cigarettes help smokers successfully quit or reduce their use of traditional cigarettes.
- E-cigarettes have NOT been proven safe or effective by the FDA as a quit-smoking aid.
E-cigarettes and e-juice are not tested or regulated. You really don’t know what you’re inhaling.
- Nicotine affects the heart and central nervous systems, raising the pulse and blood pressure.
- Nicotine adversely affects maternal and fetal health during pregnancy, contributing to low birth weight, pre-term delivery, and stillbirth.
- Teenage exposure to nicotine may harm brain development and predispose youth to future tobacco use.
- The vapor emitted by an e-cigarette has been found to contain several cancer causing chemicals, such as formaldehyde, acetaldehyde, lead, nickel, and chromium.
- Though the quantity of these harmful compounds is often less than that in conventional cigarette smoke, at least sodium, iron, aluminum, and nickel have been found in higherconcentrations in emitted vapor than in cigarette smoke.
Posted: October 6, 2015 in News
Beat Shop and Katalyst are still accepting participants for our hip hop and beat programs. Learn about the history of the genre, art of mc’ing and so much more. Open to all clients of Wapi Seattle.
Posted: September 29, 2015 in News
Thanks to all for your interest in our spoken word event! We’re rescheduling it for now, but are happy to take submissions, questions and your bright, beautiful ideas.
Email Teri or Karrie with any thoughts or questions.
Posted: September 14, 2015 in News
Ever wondered what spoken word performance is all about? Find out here, at Wapi’s first ever open-mic night, October 8th. Share you story, insight and thoughts with like-minded individuals. Questions or to sign-up, contact Karrie@wapiseattle.org or Teri@wapiseattle.org.
We hope to see you here!
Posted: September 10, 2015 in News
Would you like some techniques to manage pain in your sobriety? Here are 12 ways to calm your pain and stay clean and sober.
Posted: September 4, 2015 in News
WAPI is currently seeking a CDP/CDPT professional to work with our amazing youth population. Do you want to work in a diverse environment with a staff of dedicated professionals? Then WAPI’s alternative treatment program might be perfect for you! Email your resume to our executive director and we’ll go from there. Either full or part-time will be considered, we look forward to hearing from you soon.
Youth CD Counselor (1)